4.30.2012

28: Misogyny and Me: Television for the Masses!

I've been catching up on my television and it's got me feeling like I should stop catching up on the television I used to watch and just continue watching the Wire instead. It's the only show I'm watching right now that isn't disapointing.

It's just all the gosh-darn misogyny. Jane Krakowski is the best actor/actress on 30 Rock and yet Kenneth is getting more and more screen time . Over half what he says is woman-bashing, but it's okay he's from small-town Georgia! It's not okay. It's not even funny. It's like Pete 2.0 in disgustingness.

Next is the Big Bang Theory, which I've never watched before, but got dragged into by the awesome Barenaked Ladies theme song. (I love theme songs, even when marathoning dvds I do not fast-forward theme songs!) I cannot get past Raj's misogyny, but it's okay, because he has that hilarious selective mutism where he can't even talk to women! Hilarious. It's not okay. I should know better than to expect anything less offensive than Two and a Half Men from Chuck Lorre.

Then Skins season six. They just ruined any half-way decent female character they had. Even the ones that weren't so likeable just became fodder for male character development. Like Minnie and her relationship with Alo. I don't think "big dick" is enough to make up for paedophile.

I think I'm just going to give up on sitcoms (except Parks and Recreation) and borrow the Sopranos and the Shield from the library. Premium cable shows might be more emotional and upsetting but they're somehow less offensive and depressing. 

At the moment my big exception is Sons of Anarchy, which seems to create strong female characters just to pit them against each other or have them beat up and torn apart by the lame male characters. My personal favourite is when Jacks beat up a stripper because he and Opie both slept with her when they were in "monogomous" relationships. What a slut. That's totally her fault!!   

I was going to watch the new season of Sherlock, but I've heard plenty of bad things about it on this front too and I just can't handle any more now. Plus my darling boyfriend spoiled the end of the season for me because "you've read all the books, isn't that the same thing?" Balls.

Urgh, I just want to dance. Two days of "serious no gluten, nev, seriously!" and I'm cranky.


3 comments:

  1. I know right? I flippin hate Big Bang Theory, It's all sexist jokes and I find that blonde character Penny to be SO DEGRADING

    ReplyDelete
  2. I nominated you for a Liebster award!! yoo!! http://naivebones.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete